Why ChE @ IITH
At the department of Chemical Engineering @ IITH, we prepare the next generation chemical engineers who can solve today's socio-technical problems.
- We offer B.Tech, M.Tech and Ph.D programs.
- We address problems that are central to sustainability and economic growth of the country.
- We create a reseach culture that is highly collaborative and interdisciplinary.
- We engage our in industry sponsored projects.
- We strive to create an environment that is challenging and enables our students to identify and pursue their professional goals.
- We affirm our commitment to the creation, development, and organization of fundamental knowledge, and to provide technical service to the community.
The department offers the following programs
The number of seats leading to a B.Tech degree in Chemical Engineering is 35. The admission is solely based on the rank secured by the candidate in JEE advanced examination conducted by the IITs. For more about JEE advanced please click on the explore button
The admission to the M.Tech program is based on GATE score. The GATE papers considered for admission are CH, BT and PE. 5 seats are reserved for candidates with BT GATE score, 3 seats are reserved for candidates with PE GATE score. All candidates admitted to this program will be provided teaching assistanceship as per MHRD rules. In additiont to general M.Tech in Chemical Engineering, our department is also a participating department in the interdisciplinary M.Tech programs i) Energy Science & Technology ii) E-Waste Resources Engg iii) Polymer & Bio Systems.
The admission to PhD program of the department is based on written test and interview. All candidates having M.Tech degree in Chemical Engineering are elible to apply for the PhD program. Candiates with M.Sc degree must have JRF for considering their candidature for the program. The department reseves the right to decide the cut off for the written test.
The admission to program is based on written test and interview. All candidates having B.Tech degree in Chemical Engineering are elible to apply for the sponsored program.
All faculty applications received till May 31st, 2020, have been considered, and the round is closed. Date of start for the current round: June 1st, 2020.
The department of chemical engineering is actively looking for faculty members with excellent academic background and proven research record in various frontiers of chemical engineering.
We invite applications throughout the year. If you are residing abroad we encourage you to visit the department and deliver a talk whenever you are in India. Skype request for interviews will only be considered from candidates who have visited the department in the recent past.
For any queries related to faculty position please contact the faculty search committee: fsc[at]che.iith.ac.in
For all the posts the following educational qualification and experience criteria apply
Ph.D., with first class or equivalent B.Tech degree in Chemical Engineering with consistently good academic record throughout.
- Below 35 years of age for age.
- Candidates with at least 3 years of post-doctoral experience from a reputed university/research institute may be considered for the post of Assistant Professor.
- Candidates with Ph.D but with less than three years of post-doctoral experience may be put on tenure track for the post of Assistant Professor (on contract).
- Below 45 years of age
- Candidates with at least 6 years industrial / research / teaching experience of which at least 3 years should be at the level of Assistant Professor in IITs, or at an equivalent level in any such other Indian or foreign institution / institutions of comparable standards.
- A minimum of 10 years teaching/research/professional experience of which at least 4 years should be at the level of Associate Professor in IITs, or at an equivalent level in any such other Indian or foreign institution / institutions of comparable standards.
- The experience is counted as on date of application.
- The candidate should have demonstrated leadership in research in a specific area of specialization in terms of guidance of M.Tech and Ph.D students, and have a strong record of sponsored research, publications in reputed journals, patents, laboratory/course development and other recognized relevant professional activities.
- Candidates should be preferably below 55 years of age
Areas of interest for the department
Candidates having strong expertise in all traditional and emerging areas of chemical engineering especially in the following, however not limited to, are encouraged to apply
- Process Control/Process Systems Engineering
- Particulate Technology
- Mineral processing
- Separation Processes
- Process Intensification
- Energy Conversion and Storage
- Colloids and Interfacial Science
- Reaction Engineering and Catalysis
- Biochemical and Bioprocess Engineering
- Fluid Mechanics, Complex Fluids, CFD
- Thermodynamics and Molecular Simulations
- Polymer Engineering
- Nanoscience and Nanotechnology, Advanced Functional Materials
The present faculty search committee of the Chemical Engineering department has the following members:
- Prof. Narasimha Mangadoddy (Convener)
- Prof. Kirti Chandra Sahu
- Dr. Parag D. Pawar
- Dr. Lopamudra Giri
- Prof. Kishalay Mitra (HoD)
- Completely filled pplication form
- Detailed CV
- Research statement
- Teaching statement
Incomplete applications will not be processed. For more details on application procedure please follow "Apply Now".
The Department of Chemical Engineering currently has a JRF opening in the MicroReactionEngineering Lab. The last date for application is July 10. For further details please follow the explore button.
Please click on faculty members to filter out their broad research areas. If you hover the mouse on the theme image, you will be able to find the list of faculty members working in that particular theme. You can find a brief description about the department's research focus on each of the following themes by clicking on the 'more details' link
- All Faculty
- Alan Ranjit Jacob
- Anand Mohan
- Balaji Iyer
- Chadra Shekhar Sharma
- Debapradas Shee
- Kirti Chandra Sahu
- Kishalay Mitra
- Lopamudra Giri
- Narasimha Mangadoddy
- Parag Pawar
- Phanindra Jampana
- Praveen Meduri
- Santhosh Kumar Devarai
- Saptarshi Majumdar
- Satyavrata Samavedi
- Shelaka Gupta
- Suhanya Duraiswamy
- Sunil Kumar Maity
- Vinod Janardhanan
- Vikrant Verma
Impressions of our students and alumni. Please click and hold on a tesimonial to stop the scrolling
In the Department of Chemical Engineering at IIT Hyderabad, the professors always strive hard to ensure that the students understand and appreciate the concepts. They have easily managed to generate the spark inside the students to dig deep and ponder about various ideas related to our field. The research culture here is extremely rigorous.
B.Tech class of 2020
IITH is a roller coaster ride. With its young and dynamic faculty and an ambitious attitude, this place emits contagious vibes to bring out the best in you. Although young, IITH had been a golden source to forge long-lasting friendships, ideas, networks, outlook and a million other things. IITH can teach you to dream and believe, as it had to me.
B.Tech class of 2015
The Department of Chemical Engineering at IIT Hyderabad has played a crucial role in shaping my career. The diverse curriculum is designed to give thorough practical knowledge of the various fields and provides flexibility to students. The guidance the faculty has always pushed me forward while helping me explore my academic interests.
B.Tech class of 2020
Chemical engineering department of IIT Hyderabad is equipped with some of the finest labs, nurturing research interests of students right from the undergraduate level. We are provided with numerous opportunities for pursuing our field of interest and even work in that area along-side research scholars.
B.Tech 4th year
A well-balanced curriculum focussed on problem-solving, creativity, and practical knowledge makes the Chemical Engineering program at IIT Hyderabad, an excellent option for all budding engineers. I believe one of the best skills that I have acquired in these three years of my B.Tech is to think in an interdisciplinary manner. For this, I’m grateful to our flexible curriculum and intellectually stimulating conversations with our very young, dynamic, and approachable professors.
B.Tech 4th year
Dr KrishnaPost Doctoral Fellow
Ms DarshnaPost Doctoral Fellow
Ms Suman GuptaTechnical Officer Grade-1
Mr Somesh Rao NamaTechnical Superintendent
Ms P.GayathriTechnical Superintendent
Mr Veerabhadra Rao KoruproluTechnical Superintendent
Mr Harish RamineniExecutive Assistant
Mr Bharath G RelekarJunior Technician
Mr Nagarjuna PonnoliTechnician
Mr Cheemakurthi M SubhaniMulti Skill Assistant Gr-1
The department of Chemical Engineering at IITH offers a state of the art curriculum for its students at all levels to prepare them to become leaders of tomorrow who can transform the chemical industries to solve the socio-economic problems in a sustainable manner. The core of the undergraduate curriculum is designed to build strong foundations in chemical thermodynamics, reaction kinetics, fluid mechanics, process control, and principles of mass and transfer. The department also offers a large number of electives in the areas of energy and environment, advanced materials, chemical processes and biological engineering. The advanced electives along with training on live projects prepares our students to address problems that cuts across the boundaries of conventional chemical engineering. Some of our past recruiters are listed below
Sangareddy, Telangana PIN 502285, INDIA
+91 40 2301 6200